Thursday, February 19, 2009

Too Funky for Myself...

I found it ironic that the song "Smells Like Funk" by the Black Eyed Peas was one that came into rotation on the ipod during my run with the Dick Beardsley group this morning. The reason for that being that before leaving the apartment I realized that I was, in four little words: Too Funky for Myself. What does this mean? It basically boils down to a handful of factors...

#1) When you run outdoors during the winter layered in tech gear so as to avoid frostbite I am convinced one sweats more then the average human being on this planet.

#2) If you alternate the days you swim with the days you run this gives your running gear time to dry between uses.

#3) When you still haven't entirely caught up on the routine flow of laundry since Japan the last thing you want to do is wash the tech clothes that have special washing requirements.

#4) There is always this lingering dialog between your normal psyche & the athletes mind which makes you question with intrigue: Just how many more days can I go without washing my running gear?

#5) You know that eventually you will reach the day when even if the houndstooth fleece, running tights & sports bra are dry they smell of your wonderful sweaty musk that only a dog could love.

Unfortunately #5 never happens on the same day. Which brings me back to the intrigue of #4.

It just so happened that today was the day that at 5:15 AM #5 slapped me upside the head. A sense of mortification rolled over me when I knew that it was too late to do anything about it(not even perfume could help) and that a group of runners I appreciate would either have to congratulate me on my funk or stay several yards away.

Thankfully a local news crew that had come by the store to tape a live segment on us crazy outdoor winter runners kept everyone pretty distracted so I was spared the scowls or pats on the back. Whew!

I was tempted to go for the 7mile route this morning, but I decided to play it safe. I know the uptake in training is going to take some adjusting and I'm trying not to revert back to my old ways. Injury prevention is key right now. So I stuck with the 5mile route which tracked a different way as I was finally able to keep some other 5milers in view to see which route they took. Their route bypasses that which I had been doing & is better lit with less ice on the path.

Sub-zero temperatures were my companion once again. With minimal wind it was manageable though. My face got chilled during parts of the run, but I know why. Breathing through a face-warmer limits the amount of oxygen I am able to take in and when I am running swiftly to keep within eye-sight of the ladies I am following that puts me at a disadvantage. From the looks of it I have escaped any possible frostbite for now.

My "swiftness" was not an illusion this morning. After returning home and mapping the new route I was able to calculate my pace which put me at 10min/mi which for me is really decent. It is possible I dipped below the 10min/mi pace, but I can't be 100% positive of that. I neglected to wear a watch because it freezes at these temps. All I had to go off of was the clock in the store & I know we left slightly later then usual due to the camera crew taping.

All in all, it was a good run for me. Seeing the sliver of the moon, the twinkling stars & people just happy to run made it well worth getting up so early.


No comments: