Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Running Drunkard...

Icing conditions brought on by a week of falling rain in January have almost entirely melted in the beautiful well above -0 temperatures we have enjoyed so far this February.  Or so it looked when eyeing my traditional route via car prior to today. As it so happened, "Almost entirely" is more of a "Almost, sorta 75%" melted. 

One thing I have learned is that when faced with difficult conditions whether it be, falling rain or a blizzard while snowboarding, 20+ mph winds when running or fall & break your arse ice is that you can deal with it two ways. Either accept the challenge or go home and whine about it.

Today I accepted the challenge of navigating my way around the roughly 25% ice-clad path on my 6.5 mile scenic route.  Aside from the section at the underpass that I assume every ounce of water on the road above trickled down onto, it really wasn't that bad. I did slip a few times, but never fell.

I did realize though as I neared the end of my route & the sun was in position to cast a shadow I could view that my "navigating" around swaths of slippery h2o probably made me look more like a staggering drunkard in a hurry then a runner training for a marathon. 

Staggering or not, slipping or not, it was a beautiful run. And at a 10:28 pace I have no real complaints. :) 


No comments: