Thursday, October 9, 2008

Preparing to get filthy...

One (of many things) I appreciate about Fargo is that regardless of the season and/or weather there is always some devoted athlete out there running.

Before I started running I never noticed them, but like one who is on the hunt for a new car or camper, once I started looking I see them everywhere. Even when I'm not making a conscious effort to do so.

A good friend asked me this week where I derive my desire to keep lacing up the Mizunos' and get out there.

I'm fortunate enough to run for no other reason than that I love to. This does not, however, mean that I am immune to the struggle most of us runners face. Mornings are the weakest portion of my day, 15-30 mph winds aren't something I bask in and some days it's physically uncomfortable if not painful for me to run. I still need inspiration and a nudge to get moving too.

For now, I doubt that, that need will dissipate. And for now, more than likely for always, I appreciate the encouragement of my Beloved and the other runners I see in this city day-to-day inspiring me to keep going. Thank you!

Yesterday I made a stop downtown to drop off our registration forms for The Filthy 5k at Beyond Running (Great shoe/gear shop if you haven't been there yet). They were excited we would be there. How could we not? Last year was a riot.

Something did cause me some concern though. I was told to bring an extra change of clothes to switch into post-race. This sent my imagination into over-drive contemplating what sorts of mud puddles and booby-traps await me on Saturday. Yes it is supposed to rain, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the crew has been brainstorming up a plethora of dirty ideas.

What did I expect? This is a race that hands out awards to the runner who ends up the filthiest.I'm entirely too atwitter about this. :) Not to distracted to get a long run in, in preparation for the 15k I found out the Red River Run (Next Saturday) has in addition to the 5k though.

The half-marathon/triathlon base I have been able to build this spring/summer has come to my aid more then I expected it to. I know I can cover the 9.32 miles, but after scaling back the distances of my training runs since the Dick Beardsley 1/2 would it still be enjoyable?

Much to my jubilation after hammering out 6.12 miles in 15mph wind & 25ish mph gusts yesterday I am confident it is well within reach. It was a great training run despite a slight stomach ache from running mid-day shortly after eating lunch and a stiff headwind on a portion of the course.

It looks to be a promising start to the fall race season for me. :) w00t!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! The RSS thing worketh!

Stay warm tomorrow. We'll be cheering for you (remotely). *hugs & kisses*