Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sub-Zero...

Well, I've learned a few things since my last post. Some of the trial and error "stuff" to sort through, but such is the territory of winter running. Thankfully I haven't had a completely miserable run yet, which is quite remarkable given the temperatures & weather we have had.

Last week was strong for training. I logged 15.5 miles and am very happy with that.

Jeremy and I joined the morning run with the group at Dick Beardsley's last Thursday. Why they call it "morning" boggles me. That early is technically still night to me. Anywho, as it turns out I am the slowest runner in the 5mile group. If I want a running buddy I either need to speed up or join another group. I know attempting to catch up makes me run faster, which is good. But I've accepted that on these nights I will be primarily running alone. It was disappointing at first though. At least starting off and gathering later with people who share the same passion and effort is it's own reward.

I've reached the point that a 5miler three times per wk. is comfortable and something I look forward to. Eventually I will make the Saturday run a long run. For now I'm more focused on getting a run in. Period.

Moving on to this week,

When temperatures fall below zero you have three choices.

1.) Snuggle up with your down blanket & cup of hot cocoa.

2.) Hop on the dreadmill.

or,

3.) Pile on a ridiculous amount of layers. Michelin style. Stick the ipod in the sports bra so it doesn't freeze up again & leave the water bottle at home. Again because of the freezing.

Since I have this periodic curiosity of what I can handle of the elements, I of course chose the third option.(I say periodic because nothing in my body wanted to leave the apartment yesterday to do anything let alone run.)

Today I ran in -5 degree weather for nearly 5miles. Finding a clear path was difficult after the wknd's blizzard & 40+ mph winds. The aftermath was beautiful, but I definitely have compassion for those plowing and hauling away the snow.


Given the right technical gear and proper layering I'm feeling very confident about running through the winter. My only regret is not doing it last year. No I wont be making any PRs in training and yes sometimes my eye lashes freeze together, but there is something invigorating about getting out when most people wouldn't consider it. The brisk air no longer chills me, it refreshes me. I was hoping to get a before and after shot of the ice build up on my face warmer and eye lashes, but it melted by the time I grabbed the camera. So ^ that's all I've got.

Tomorrow I get my ink retouched. There are a few spots in the solid area under the camel that need more filling in. Which is normal with that much solid area. Hopefully it wont effect my running to much. There is no avoiding wearing something over the tattoo this time of the year so I will have to be brave.

Once that is all healed up I will be able to hit the pool again. Something I desparately need to do. Most of the triathlons we will do this summer will be Olympic distance with one 1/2 iron (hopefully) in there. Right now swimming 1/2 mile wears me out, that has to change by June. I'm determined to swim the 1.2mile needed for the HIM. Lots of training leading up to that though.

As we near the end of this year I'm finding myself setting goals for '09. Trying to be optimistic and realistic at the same time is challenging. Staying focused on what is truly important gets even more challenging. My passion and drive for tris & running allows me to worship my God in a uniquely powerful way, but I also don't want it to become a distraction. Living actively is a gift. I just want to be sure I use it wisely & to His glory in whatever way He should lead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look like a warrior princess in that picture.