Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Run, The Ride & The Radiator...

The latter part of last week was a bit more eventful then planned.  Allow me to elaborate.

Thursday morning's run felt smooth & fast despite the heat. Listening to sermons while I run helps the miles pass and keeps me fueled in other ways.  I have been trying to build my base back up so that I'm able to do the Dick Beardsley 1/2 Marathon in September.  It's been a slow process as of late. Since the Fargo 1/2 I admit I've been slacking off when it comes to running  and  focusing more on swimming & biking. It's still a challenge  finding a balance in training between the three sports.

I decided to forego my swim on Friday as I was helping a couple paint their new apartment and figured it was better not to go into Saturday's long ride with a stiff neck from turning to breathe like I typically get. Skipping a swim session was a tough decision, but a wise one I think.

Saturday is when all the excitement happened.  The alarm clock went off at 5:15ish bright and early giving us just enough time to fill our water bottles & jersey pockets  full of what we would need for the ride.  We still ended up forgetting a few important things like the camera & the "Oh Crap" kit, but overall not bad considering how early it was.  After loading the bikes we were off to Pelican Rapids.

Upon arriving via Toyota to our designated starting point, Jeremy noticed that the heat gage on the car was way up and upon popping the hood we noticed that the radiator had formed a hairline crack (steam billowing up/out) & the coolant was completely gone. Bummer. Being as it was only 6:30 a.m. at this point we knew that there wasn't much we could do. Repairs shops hadn't opened yet and nobody sane would be up at this hour on a Saturday.  So what does one do until then? Flog themself up one hill and down the other over & over again until the 20mile loop is complete.  Of course. :)  It was awesome!

Fargo's only "hills" are the incline after an underpass and the dike by the river I used to sled down as a kid. Needless to say not much hill training here. For many years I have somewhat loathed the athletic legs some would swear I was born with, but the more I train the more I appreciate what they can do. Such was the case here. Other then the first monster ridge I noobishly (sp?) geared up at the start of the ride I was able to climb much better then I had anticipated.  It was a tough, but very enjoyable ride one I'm looking forward to tackling again this Saturday. Hopefully with no more car troubles.

Three things I learned this ride...

1.) Some roadkill can't be identified, but it's always fun to guess. 

2.) My husband smokes me on the downhills not to mention looks fantastic in his bike shorts.

3.) Bladed spokes really are bladed.  See...


And to finish it up, so far this week I have biked 18miles and swam 800yards. Swim went pretty well yesterday and the commute downtown to Salon Why to get my hair cut today felt great. Almost wiping out after my tire slid into the weed filled crack in the street, not so great.  

Before & after pics of the hair to follow.  My tripod is in the car & I can't get a decent picture of the back without help.







No comments: