Monday, April 4, 2011

One week later...

A week to the day after my husband & I returned home from our travels in Japan, the Tsunami & Earthquake hit.

I still see the faces of the Japanese businessmen, fathers, mothers & children on the train as we made our first leg back to the States and I can't help but wonder how they have faired. My heart has struggled with sorrow. It is such a beautiful country/culture that has suffered so much loss. Seeing image upon image of the devastation is different when you recognize what has collapsed or been swept away. Much is broken down, but all is not lost, so here are a few shots from my time there as an alternative to the frames of destruction...

My hubby w/ our new-born nephew, Ricky.

Temples, trees & tarmac during one of my runs.

Naqua Shirakami. Snowboarding on the side of a Volcano.

Brilliant blue skies over rice fields ready for planting on the edge of town.

You may not know that most of my husband's family lives in northern Japan. While they were still hit with the quake, the town in which they live was only nominally effected. However towns just 15-30miles away were not so fortunate, experiencing extensive damage.

When my in-laws were called to Japan over a handful of years ago it was with the heart's desire to serve the Japanese people in body & spirit. On the wings of this recent disaster the need for this ministry has greatly increased. Our parents are literally out there in the mire helping in the clean-up efforts and their doors remain open to those in need.

For information on what they are doing & how you can help: http://www.misawahospitalityhouse.com/

Please continue to pray for the people of Japan & those still hurting in Haiti.

1 comment:

Jay said...

Nice photos.. I love photography, but amateur. My church supports a missionary, "Pastor Joe", who might be in that same area of Japan. I'm pretty new to Tri, and just finished my first marathon (slowly). Good luck with your training, and God Bless.. -Jay (@Tri2Thrive)