Monday, April 5, 2010

The Feet & The Force

I'm still convinced I have borrowed someone else's legs and am every bit as convinced that I'd like to hang on to them forever. Deciding what was a reasonable recovery coming off of 2 x 26.2 was interesting, why? Well for one that was an epic amount of mileage for me & two my body was pretty much ready to roll the next day. How is this possible? I have no idea, but I'll take it!

With a recovery run, LSD run, a few short bricks & a rest day down for the week I opted for a shorter run in town this weekend. The ultra crew tried talking me into a night trail run of 20+ miles, but I just wasn't feeling it. Familiar level terrain, mileage I felt up to & the chance to wear my VFFs again (something I had been waiting to do all week as my blisters were healing) took precedence. It was the right choice.

The plan was to run 13.1 and I held to that. However, at mile 6 I looked down to see not only Darth Vador but that I was clocking paces between sub-to-mid 8s and I felt fantastic doing it. Weird, this can't be right. Can it? It took about a 1/4 of a mile for me to make the decision to haul my way into a new PR. This was the right choice. Despite several stop lights, plowing into a headwind a good majority of those last 7 miles & wanting to shoot myself the last mile I somehow managed to knock 6 minutes off of my previous 13.1 time which brings my current 13.1 record to 1:56. Heck Yeah! It's been three days, but I'm still jazzed about it. That is all.

3 comments:

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

I'm more than a little impressed!

Stay tuned...

SteveQ said...

Thanks for following my blog (you joined at an odd time!) I've been going through some of your older posts - are you doing the Superior 50K or Ice Age 50K before Lean Horse? It's hard to tell - and it's good to find out about runners in your area. Hope to see all of you on the trails sometime this year!

RLU said...

Steve, I will be doing the Superior Trail 50k next month as a training run/race for Lean Horse. Researching it actually brought up your blog, so that's how I "found" you. Good read. :)