Friday, January 29, 2010

Beautiful | Difficult

Last week I...

Settled more comfortably into the swim/bike/run bricks of 70.3 training.

Ran with Maggie in the thickest fog I have ever run in, loving every minute of it.

Shot the beauty of what that fog left behind the following day.





Donned the VFFs & garnered a sub 9min/mi for 6miles. Despite having heartburn the entire run, I enjoyed every mile.



A blizzard yet again made me reschedule my long run. This meant putting it the day after a full training day w/ a brick & two BJJ classes. The mind was willing, the body protested. The 1st 3miles I had shin splints & calf cramping so badly I was crippled to walking. So much pain I started to route myself back home early. Only to have the Lord bless me with renewed strength to finish the final 11miles at an unusually fast pace.

In contrast, this week I...

Didn't train or leave the house for five days due to illness.

Managed only one swim/bike/run brick once I did get out of the house. Using cough-drops & tissues on the trainer. Doubling my laps because the water felt comforting and other athletes in the pool inspired me. Spent the rest of the day tired, but happy to have trained.

Slept a lot.

The Lord knows what my desires are & what my training plan looks like. So while the missed training is a disappointment, I'm sure in some ways it will be a blessing.

Tomorrow's run (20 hilly miles w/ the ultra crew) will be difficult as I'm not 100% over this bug, but if I have learned anything from working thru illness and pain it is that... knowing what you can handle & how to compensate for areas that are lacking, is a necessary asset for the type of events I am training for. So I embrace it, gladly.

No comments: