Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Training: T-minus 4days...

Yesterday was one of those days. The kind of day that makes you wish all other days could be just like it. Knowing full well that if that were to truly happen over time such days would seem mediocre so you really shouldn't wish for that at all. 

As I left our apartment building & headed toward the garage to fetch Tangerine a strange sensation occurred, a breeze. It was oddly unpleasant. In anticipation for the day's ride I had neglected to put on bicycle shorts under my tights & being that it was three flights of stairs to climb in road shoes to go get them, I made the decision to go without. 

The Liberty HIM is only 38days away which means that I have exactly 38days to get my badonkadonk accustomed to riding with little-to-no padding. After clipping in and sitting down I realized that the saddle on my road-bike is actually reasonably comfortable. Not at all what I remembered from last year. Yes, one less piece of gear to launder on a weekly basis!

Exiting the parking lot I knew I was in tune for a stellar commute.  Sometimes equipment feels like just that, equipment. Other times it feels like an extension of my body. Ever since I was 12 Betty always felt that way, but Tangerine is new to me. A different breed of bicycle than I ever rode prior to becoming a triathlete & that intimate familiarity is still left to be earned. 

With the amount of riding I have been able to cover in training already this spring that familiarity is increasing rapidly. I am encouraged. It's like discovering the perfect degree of lean & balance for holding a heel or toe-side turn when boarding. Yesterday I found that with Tangerine. Each movement was fluid. 

There are sounds my ears long to hear, they inspire me & I seek after them. My Savior's voice, Jeremy laughing, the camera shutter, my feet as they kiss the ground as I run. The sound of beautifully shifting gears on my bicycle has become one of those sounds. It reminds me of the sound a cartridge makes as it is loaded into a gun. It is powerful & empowering.  

Upon arriving at the gym, I quickly changed into my swim gear & made my way to the pool. Still invigorated by the ride I was hoping to carry that into my swim, which I did. Doing so brought me to a PB for the 1.2mi swim. That only added to an already fantastic training day. There were points during the swim I got distracted & felt my form falling apart, but I am learning to remind myself to find my calm and get back into a comfortable flow of motion. 

It was a beautiful day.

Tapering for the marathon which is now a measly 4 days away has been a challenge in restraint. Running with my buddy Maggy today definitely helped. It is good to have a second voice of reason to encourage me to take it easy this week. I have so much excitement about this Saturday that it's difficult to just sit still. The warmer weather & clear skies hasn't helped that.

In my mind there is an almost constant ticker-tape of 26.2 thoughts. Will my layering be right for the weather come race day, will I have enough fuel, how many walls will I encounter, how long will Maggy & I be at the same pace, will I be able to spot my cheering family amongst the crowds, what should I put in my post-race bag, etc. etc. It has made work difficult, but I am managing. The Lord has also given my Beloved an added dose of patience. How the man can handle so much run/tri talk when taking most of this season off to pursue Jiu Jitsu is beyond me. 

All that said I feel ready. Ready to embrace the challenge of the race & passionate about the training that follows it in preparation for 70.3 

Do I always feel this way? No. Sometimes I feel tired, sore & more than a little crazy. But right now, I am ready. 

26.2 here I come! 

*Disclaimer: Betty is my snowboard, Tangerine is my bicycle & Maggy is a talented runner. All of which I have purely platonic relationships with. 

1 comment:

Sue said...

You will kill it! GOOD LUCK!

yellow